Friday 7 January 2011

Day 11: Bruges

1/6/11

The gorgeous weather that we had yesterday didn't last long. We were greeted with wet cobble stone and cloudy skies this morning. We almost made it through our entire trip without seeing a single rain drop. I guess we can't complain about one rainy day in a two week long holiday, and it definitely didn't stop us from enjoying our day. I found the weather to be quite romantic. Cuddling under an umbrella as we went from chocolate shop to chocolate shop tasting and comparing. Our agenda today was to not have one. We tasted chocolates, ate waffles, and even had real chocolate that was made with milk and melted Belgian chocolate...best hot cocoa ever. It was kept in a machine that constantly churned the sweet concoction so the chocolate wouldn't settle to the bottom or harden. Another tasty treat to add to my list of things I need to learn to make when I get home.

The most interesting chocolates we tried today came from The Chocolate Line in Simon Stevin Plein. Marcus had the "Havana" which was made with dark chocolate soaked in Cuban tobacco leaves and he loved it. Per recommendation of the gentleman helping us, I tried the sun-dried tomato, black olive, and basil chocolate (that's all one chocolate). Surprisingly it was pretty good, I couldn't eat a whole box of them but maybe that's the point. Marcus hated it all together and quickly washed it down with some of the hot cocoa. His face reminded me of Will Ferrell in "Elf" when he tried the "Passion Fruit Spray." Poor guy :)

We did a bit more shopping, visited a Belgian beer vault, and finally had a delicious dinner at l'Estaminet. I had angel hair pasta and Marcus had lasagna, both of which were topped with a thick slice of cheese, baked, and served in adorable clay pots. I doubt it constitutes traditional Flemish cuisine, but we made up for that fact by ordering a Duvel and Trappist Rochefort 10. The restaurant itself had a great vibe: quaint, dim candlelit room with windows dressed in Belgian lace and filled with locals. Definitely a place we will visit again when we return to Bruges.

We go back to London in the morning. It's always sad for me leaving one country to go to another. I'm confident we will return to Bruges sooner than later. We are already talking about our next trip. It truly is the most romantic city in the world in my eyes, and I don't think anything will ever change that. Favorite moment of the day: Slow dancing in rain to Van Morrison singing "Have I told you lately" in the middle of Simon Stevin Plein. I'm so happy we chose to come to Bruges, these memories will truly last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment